Today’s post is by Sarah!
Stories aren’t just for bedtime. Spice up your read-aloud routine with a change in location.
Here are 5 ideas for fun places to read aloud:
- At the breakfast table. A captive audience is more likely to listen, right? Even the most ordinary breakfast is more special if there’s a good story to go along with it.
- Take it outside. Spread a blanket under a tree and enjoy a picture book. When the story is over, your little one can run off to play. Bonus points if you pick a nature-themed book!
- In a pillow fort. Your child will be thrilled if you join him in a super-secret spot made of couch cushions and blankets. When you’re done reading, leave him with a pile of books and he may choose to keep looking at pictures on his own.
- In the bathtub. Find a beach or water-themed story and act it out with some bath toys. Your child will think you’re the best parent ever!
- Under the table. Make a tent by using a large sheet over the table.
If you’re wondering why reading to kids is so important, take a look at my 9 reasons to read to your kids this summer.
Where is your favorite place to read to your kids?
Photos by Sarah Mueller