This weeks virtual book club features The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsberg with the theme of trains. The book is available on kindle unlimited too.
For this weeks activity I decided to reinforce our name spelling by making a train to place letters on. This activity can easily be done as a busy bag too!
To make your train cut a few foam blocks to make a train. hot glue the train bits onto a strip of black foam to make it stable. Add wheels.
I choose the number of train carts to fit the longest name of my kids.
Use foam letters and sort out a few to include the children’s names. I have 4 kids to I made a mix of all these letters.
Although my youngest is only 2 she loved this activity for its simple matching and fine motor skills. The older kids will be reinforcing learning their names with this train. as my 2 year old says. choo choo!
Since all the kids names are of different length it was an interesting exercise to compare the length of each name.
You are invited to visit our Virtual Book Club for Kids cohosts sites for additional activity ideas all about the weeks theme. Featured below are many ideas for your preschooler ages 2-5.
More train themes:
- Polar Express Train Track Letter Puzzle – Adventures of Adam
- Beginning Letter Sounds Train Ride – Rainy Day Mum
- Polar Express Printables- Jingle Bell Count
- Christmas Train – Mama Smiles
- Trains & Magnets Sensory Bin – Preschool Powol Packets
- Snowy Train Sensory Bin – Inspiration Laboratories
- Learning colors by Painting with trains – views from a Step stool
- Train Pretend Play Fun for Kids- Toddler Approved
- Train Ride Yoga – My Storytime Corner
- Train Shapes (making a train with shapes)-craftcreatecalm
- Building A Moving Polar Express Train with Preschoolers – The Educators’ Spin On It