The other day my husband was on his way to town and just as he was about to walk out the door our 19 month old decided that now was the time to be with daddy, he gave her a quick kiss and rushed off to the waiting taxi. She was rather upset she couldn’t go with.
She didn’t want snuggles from me so my next idea was to distract her!
Really Quick Fine Motor Play
I grabbed a few pipe cleaners and cut some straws and put them into the flower bowl she likes. She quickly calmed down to inspect this new distraction.
Not only does this activity promote fine motor skills but also hand eye co-ordination. She missed the pipe cleaner end a few times so this activity is definitely a good one to bring out a few more times for practice.
The straws in the bowl also got a sensory feeling and they made a nice sound has she moved her finger about in them.
My 4 year old also come to inspect the threading that was going on and joined in. Last year we threaded beads on pipe cleaners.
A really quick fine motor practice and occupying activity indeed!
Looking for more fab fine motor skills? Check out what my co-hosts have been up to this week.
- Fine Motor Color Matching Bunny Tails from School Time Snippets
- Easter Egg Fine Motor Fun with Pompoms from Craftulate
- Leprechaun Bait from Still Playing School
- St Patricks Day Finger Grasps Fine Motor Sensory Play from Little Bins for Little Hands
- Ice Pick-Up & Pour from Stir the Wonder
- Giant Guitar DIY Fidget Ring for Kids from Lalymom
Have a zero to two year old?
You will want to check out this amazing new ebook!
- it’s an amazing resource
- inspiring play ideas, but really practical
- great photos, step-by-step guides, all things you can easily try at home
- 25 ideas for babies and toddlers, and additional links to over 50 more activities
- great range of activities: classics, things with a twist, sensory, focus on play, backed up with lots of learning
- Click here to get your copy.