Learning the alphabet is one of the most important things to learn when children are young. The alphabet is the first step in eventually reading and writing. There are so many different activities that kids can enjoy that will help them learn basic and advanced alphabet and writing skills.
What are Alphabet and Writing Skills?
There are multiple parts of learning the alphabet and writing that are important for children to learn.
Letter recognition is the skill of being able to differentiate between the various letters. Children will be able to look at a B and know that it is the B. This is also the skill of knowing that a B is not a Y and vise versa.
This is the skill that allows children to write each letter.
Being able to repeat the sound that a letter makes is knowing letter sounds. This is important because the sounds are put together to make words.
Ways To Develop Alphabet and Writing Skills
There are a variety of ways that children can develop alphabet and writing skills. One thing to remember is that repetition is extremely important. These skills develop what’s necessary for future literacy learning, identifying the individual letters, how they are formed and what sound they make. Here are different ideas for developing alphabet and writing skills.
- Alphabet Games
- Alphabet Crafts
- Sensory Play
Our Favorite Alphabet and Writing Activities
- Car Alphabet Matching Cards
- Dino Alphabet Mazes
- Printable Alphabet Puzzles
- Dinosaur Alphabet Cards and Matching Game
- Alphabet Scavenger Hunt: This is a fun game that can be played with plastic Easter eggs.
- Upper & Lowercase Letter Recognition Printables
- Compost Stew: Alphabet Activity
- Alphabet Posters & Activity Ideas
- 20+ Ways To Use Foam Letters
- Dolche Sight Word Tracing Printables
- Christmas ABC Writing Game
- Dinosaur Alphabet Cards & Matching Game
- Sensory & Name Threading Activity
- Space Themed Name Activity
- 20+ Fine Motor Activities To Help Teach Letters
- 5 Ways To Teach Toddlers ABCs & 123s
- Sensory ABC Activity
- Big Letter, Little Letter Activity
- ABC Photo Book
- Motor Badge ABC Flash Cards
Letter Crafts and Worksheets are a creative way to help children with letter recognition, formation and sounds. We have compiled crafts for each letter of the alphabet. This is perfect if you are doing a letter of the week series or if your kids need help with individual letters.
Prewriting and Tracing
Prewriting activities are important for preschoolers. They help them learn how to simply hold a pencil and manipulate it to form shapes, lines or letters. When children are used to holding and using a pencil, using tracing activities can help them learn exactly how to write specific letters.
We have Tracing Worksheets for each letter of the alphabet. These printable sets help children with letter formation, letter recognition as well as letter sounds.
- Outer Space Prewriting Printables
- Prewriting Tracing Printables
- Dino Prewriting
- Community Helper Prewriting
- Colored Salt Writing Tray
- Pretend Play: Post Office Writing Center
- 25+ Non Writing Writing Activities
- ABC Match and Trace Cards
- Pencil Control For Early Writers
- Connect The Stickers
Name Spelling and Writing
A child’s name is typically the first word that they know how to spell. These activities are fun and easily adaptable for you to prep for your own child’s name.
- Name Tracing Printable
- Discover My Name In The Night Sky
- 10 Activities To Teach Your Kids To Write Their Name
- 20+ Write My Name Activities
- Name Recognition With Beads
- Rainbow My Name Activity
- Name Treasure Hunt