After having 4 children I have certainly weeded out the best baby toys for 0-6 months old area! When my 3rd turned 9 months old I found that she was in need of a different variety of stimulating toys for her age, which was a perfect opportunity for me to write up what went well with the current collection (baby toys 0-6 months) that I packed away!
Updated (March 2016): to add new finds from my 4th baby who is now just over a year old.
I went ahead and asked the fabulous birth group I belong to for my 3rd child: “Which toys would you recommend a new mother for the 0-6 month area?” Here are their picks along with my own!
Baby Toys 0-6 months
These toys were recommended by almost all the moms and after having a look on amazon at the reviews we can see why! Plush toy keep babies entertained with clinking rings, teethers, various bits perfect for chewing. Multiple textures, crinkles, mirror and squeaker’s stimulate the tactile senses. See all Lamaze Toys here.
Another one to check out is the Baby Socks and Wrist Rattle set.
More Toys to grow into:
Although these toys will catch some attention earlier on they will really get used more and more towards the 6 month marker. Lets face it a younger one can only do so much!
Here are 3 selections, the first was recommend by my birth group, the middle one was a close second and I bought the 3rd one for my 3rd child who passed it on to my 4th child and it is still going strong! I must say that the baby liked the ability to move the extras round bits, mirror and worm about. The top also has a squeaker. It is a bit bigger than the other 2 though so if you are in the 4+ month age area this is a better choice.
- Baby Einstein Bendy Ball -Soft, flexible plastic with bright primary colors make this Ball fun and easy for little fingers to bend, squeeze, grasp, and roll.
- Winkel Rattle and Sensory Teether Activity Toy – mesmerizing maze of safe, soft, continuous tubes is perfect for a teething baby to chew on.
- Bright Starts Clack and Slide Activity Ball – rattling beads and caterpillar, mirror, clacky disks and a twirling frog.
Toys that move or have texture are just awesome for little ones to explore. The links pictured below were definitely one of the more favored toys.
- Finger Puppets – These make great little sing song characters that baby can’t help but giggle at!
- Ring O’ Links Rattle
- Lots of Links- Solid Colors – not only great for chewing we often used these to clip other toys onto things like the stroller, carseat or crib.
- Take Along Tunes Musical Toy – 7 Classical Songs. Best feature? It has 2 volume levels. 🙂
- Musical Inchworm – rattles, squeaks, crinkles and jingles and has interesting textures to touch and chew.
Infant Toys 0-6 Months
As I mentioned above get extra of those links to make sure your toys don’t drop out of your stroller!
- Clip & Go Moose
- This Spiral Activity Toy will snake around any bar.
- or if you have no bar try this Rainbow Arch instead
These are more geared to 5+ months and the sitting baby.
- I got these Float and Play Bubbles Toys this past Christmas for the youngest. She really loves them.
- I also had got the Flow N Fill Spout bath toy the year before for one of the other kids. At this age she liked to watch it and the water. As she gets older she plays with the cups as well.
- Another one the baby can watch until they are old enough to play with this Wind Up Swimming Penguin!
Sophie the giraffe
Sophie the giraffe was a huge hit with our group almost as much as the “magic” seahorse. I have even done a review on Sophie the giraffe, do take a look. This is one of the best baby shower gifts ever!
Here is a variety of sizes & shapes:
- Vulli Sophie the Giraffe Teether, Brown/White
- Vulli Sophie Giraffe Set (Soft Toy and Natural Rubber)
- Vulli So’Pure Teether, Sophie the Giraffe
Black and White books
The simple shapes and little color is great for this age. Some of the fabric books even have rattles hidden in their pages.
Touch and Feel Books
My little one LOVES her touch and feel books, these are getting used well past the 6 month bracket.
- Animals (Baby Touch and Feel)
- Touch & Feel Baby Animals
- Touch & Feel: On the Farm, Baby Animals, At the Zoo and Perfect Pets
- Cloth Book, Peek-A-Boo Forest
- Noisy Farm
- Clip-On Book, The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Soothing Sleep Solutions
Ahh the wonders of a soothed baby that sleeps. I batted with these for all my kids. These are a few solutions that could also work for you. I also recommend you read this article about Selecting a First Teddy or Blanket for your child.
- Ocean Wonders Soothe and Glow Seahorse (2 colors available) – This seahorse was a hot topic for many weeks on our birth board! It seemed to have worked for large amount of the babies by soothing them to sleep with soft music and ocean like sounds. (yes, we have one too!)
- Sleep Sheep – four soothing nature sounds, including gentle stream, spring showers, ocean waves and harmonious whale sounds.
- SleepSack – adjustable swaddle wrap immobilizes your baby’s arms to prevent the “Moro” or startle reflex.
- Pacifier – Giraffe is sure to be a favorite of baby AND Mom and Dad. Soft and cuddly it is just the right size for little hands to grasp and keep the pacifier close.
- Natural White Noise – This is one of my best tricks! 🙂
Baby Play Gyms
These were also very high on the wanted list from all the Moms I talked with!These are great for the early days, with colors, sounds and movement simulation. Check out all the Play Gyms.
- Safari Activity Gym, Spots and Stripes
- Skip Hop Treetop Friends Activity Gym
- Petals and Friends Activity Gym
- Skip Hop Funky Farmyard Activity Mat
I have heard many things about the jumperoo and how much the little ones love it. Personally I have never had one, lack of space and an unwilling husband 😉 See more Jumperoo.
Swings were also high on the to get list. Motion is great for little ones depending on the mode these are either sooth or entertain.
- My Little Snugabunny
- Fisher-Price Zen Collection Cradle Swing
- Fisher-Price Space Saver Swing and Seat, Luv U Zoo
I love cot mobiles! I especially love the “tiny love” one as it detaches and I use to bring it along for the pram when we would go out to the park. It also has a silent option.
- Tiny Love Sweet Island Dreams Mobile
- Lamaze Freddie The Firefly Musical Mobile
- Dragons Wooden Ceiling Mobile
- Take Along Mobile – I had this one for my 1st and 2nd child. I especially loved that it detached so I could take it with in the stroller.
- Simple color Farm Mobile
I think all babies are different and have preference for different things. I have 4 kids and they all like different things! 4 times as much to entertain but I love the diversity and challenge!
PIN to save and share!
Take a look at these other awesome ideas!
- 8 Homemade toys for Babies
- Eight Games Older Siblings Can Play With Baby
- Welcoming New Baby In Toddler’s Life