One of the most famous of Jenkins’ book is What Would You Do With a Tail Like This? This was our first of his books and we have been avid readers of his wonderful work ever since. Jenkins is a master of his art. His illustrates with 3D like forms using a variety of textures perfectly paired to each animal.
We did a fun paper puppet project to another one of Jenkin’s books Time to Eat recently, check out our work here.
What Do You Do When Something Wants to Eat You? poses the same question to 14 animals from all walks of life. The most interesting and surprising of which is the bombardier beetle for a reason I hope you discover!
Steve Jenkins Read Along Mosaic Art
What you need:
- Collection of paper scraps in different colors and textures
- Ribbon, rick-wrack, yarn
- Glue stick or white craft glue
- Glitter or glitter glue
What you do:
- Create a layers mosaic like art on construction or plain printer paper. Choose to make an animal from the book, an abstract pattern or a self portrait.
- Cut, rip and tear pieces to make the form you and your child imagine. This is a great opportunity to let them explore their own creative style.
- Finish with glitter! Spread glue around the edges of the picture and sprinkle glitter over so it sticks. Shake off the extra.
Lots of cutting and gluing.
Finishing off with glitter!
Ta-Da, the finished mosaics.