Welcome to another week of Playful Preschool!!
Follow the hashtag #playfulpreschool on social media, where we bring you some hands on learning for your preschooler!
This weeks theme is FALL COLORS, also be sure to check at the bottom of this post for all the links to more ideas on this theme from my fabulous blogging friends who are also a part of this group!
I decided to go the art route this week by making some cornstarch paint and using it to decorate a rather dull back wall while offering the kids a learning opportunity and simply tons of fun!
For this fall activity you will need:
- Spray bottles
- Cornstarch paint (red, orange, yellow)
Cornstarch Paint Recipe:
- 1 cup of cornstarch
- 1 cup of water
- Food coloring of choice
Mix the cornstarch and water together with a whisk, separate into containers and add desired colors.
To get our orange cornstarch paint I mixed equal parts red and yellow to a 3rd spray bottle. To fill the spray bottles just under half way I doubled the cornstarch recipe.
This activity can be done on any outside wall (painted or not) as the cornstarch paint washes off very well. BUT when in doubt always try a small test section before doing the complete activity.
To start this activity I drew a tree on the wall in chalk and lined up a bunch of ones on the lower branches in yellow chalk.
I then encouraged my 5 year old to aim for these ones and spray them! I then added red number 3’s and he did similar. My 2 year old had some orange O’s further down to aim at! This was a great motor practice for her as she really had to work to hold that spray bottle well and aim it!
For my 5 year old he did color recognition as well as a few counting numbers in the 3 main colors. Aiming the spray of the spray bottle was a bonus motor skill.
Spraying some red 3.
Here he was admiring his handy work.
After a while our tree started to take shape!
My 2 year old was drawn to a corner to watch her paint run down as she sprayed.
Pin this idea for later and check out what our friends did this week!
For More FALL COLOR Themed Preschool Activities from the PLAYful Preschool Education Team:
- Fall Colors Modeled Writing in Preschool by Fun-A-Day
- Fall Colors Water Mixing by Still Playing School
- Exploring Fall Colors With Gourds by Little Bins For Little Hands
- Why Leaves Change Colors by The Preschool Toolbox Blog
- Learning With Preschool Songs: The Leaves of the Trees by Growing Book by Book
- DIY Fall Color Word Book by The Educators’ Spin On It
- Learning Number Words with Fall Colored Leaves by Tiny Tots Adventures
- Fall Tree Number Matching by Mom Inspired Life
- Colors of Fall Sensory Bin by Life Over C’s
- Foot Painting The Fall Colours by Learning to Walk
- Exploring Fall Colors in Paint by Powerful Mothering
- Autumn Colours Plant Science at Rainy Day Mum
- Make Your Own Fall Potpourri at Capri + 3
Join us tonight at 9:00 EST for a live Google Hangout where we share what activities we are doing for the fall color theme in our homes and classrooms.
Follow Nicolette | Powerful Mothering’s board Preschool 3-5 years old on Pinterest.