Felt is such a forgiving fabric and it sticks so nicely to itself thus making it is a great base to use in learning with toddlers. Sometimes one doesn’t even need to sew!
Take a look at these awesome felt learning ideas.
Learn about our bodies with felt, cut out some various colors to match internal organs and bones. This is a fabulous idea for learning the body.
Play a felt name game and encourage your toddler to learn their name.
My toddler also just loves sticking things onto the felt board, you could do this in themes and name the items they are sticking.
Start learning about the weather with a rather cute felt weather board.
Another encouragement for button work and fine motor skills is playing with a homemade button snake.
For older toddlers already interested in learning their abc’s this DIY alphabet pocket chart is very engaging and hands on.
Make a DIY felt play mat with things of interest to your toddler. We made roads with various stops for cars which included counting parking spaces and identifying places to go.
Quiet books are also extremely popular with the little ones. We have just started our own quiet book pages with our first page a fine motor activity that encourages name recognition.
I love this quiet book guide from And Next Comes L, it is a great place to get started.
Learn and play with a felt garden, this has got to be one of the most imaginative garden felt pieces I have ever seen!
Further reading and ideas:
- Learn how to make your very own felt board from Kids Activities Blog.
- Teach preschool has a lovely list of all things felt that she uses in her classroom.
- Check out my felt Pinterest board!
Have a zero to two year old?
You will want to check out this amazing new ebook!
- it’s an amazing resource
- inspiring play ideas, but really practical
- great photos, step-by-step guides, all things you can easily try at home
- 25 ideas for babies and toddlers, and additional links to over 50 more activities
- great range of activities: classics, things with a twist, sensory, focus on play, backed up with lots of learning
- Click here to get your copy.