Todays post is by Holly!
Holly Easterby is someone who finds joy in seeing infants and parents share precious moments together. She encourages parents to make the right choices for their kids through her written works for Bonza Brats and in blogs like this one. In this article, she will be giving tips on how to pick the perfect name for your kid.
Are you expecting a little baby soon? Then no doubt, you must have already done a little bit of shopping for some cutesy baby toys and accessories. But have you considered your baby’s name? If not, then you should get started. Let the tips below help you find the perfect one for your small boy or girl.
Ways to Choose Baby Names
- Get trendy and crazy. Modern baby names can have its benefits. Your child will have a name that will fit his generation. While this may be so, this can also have its drawbacks. More than one kid might have the same name in school. What other parents do is change the spelling of the name to make it unique.
- Pick a positive characteristic. Instead of regular names, you can name your kid a positive characteristic. What are the characteristics that you want to see in your child? Do you want your small girl to be someone who gives hope? Then you can name her Hope. If he’s a boy, would you want him to be courageous? The name him Courage. Other popular baby names that speak of human characteristics are Faith, Charity, Love, and Charity.
- Let different cultures be your guide. Instead of copying the names of popular Hollywood artists, why not consider naming your kid according to baby names in different countries? There are many websites that categorized baby names according to their traditional roots. For example, African baby names will include Asha, Adisa, Charlize, and Obi.
- Rely on their meanings. Many names have meanings tied to them. Some of these are considered positive, while others leave nothing so much to be desired about. Your child may protest being named Arnalda, but telling her this means “strong as an eagle” could make a difference. Now Claudia may not be able to appreciate her name once she finds out this means “lame”.
- Go classic. Out of baby name ideas? Then you can always opt to go timeless with your baby’s name. Unlike current popular baby names, classic names will never be outdated. A few decades from now, your child’s name will still sound as good at the time when you chose to have this written down in the birth certificate. Examples of classic baby girl names include Anna, Alice, Caroline, Beatrice, Charlotte, Julia, Irene and Rebecca. For a baby boy, top baby name choices include William, Michael, Ethan, Daniel, Alexander, Noah, Gabriel, Andrew, and Raphael.
Unless you live in a country that does not have any restrictions when it comes to changing names legally, then your kid will be stuck his birth name for the rest of his life. So when it comes to naming your kid, choose wisely. Make this one of the fondest memories for your baby. Remember that when you call out your child’s name when he’s older, the name should at least be pleasant enough to make your kid smile back at you.
Author: Holly Easterby
Holly’s love for children has seen her featured in many education and children websites, whether talking about healthy snacks, motivating students or children’s fashion at Bonza Brats. Holly loves reading books, and shopping is her way of spending time with her young family. If you would like to catch her, you can via Google+ or Twitter: @HollyEasterby