Fine motor skills are an important part of our children’s development and I for one strive to encourage all sorts of creative play to help develop these skills!
Today I have put together a list of 20 ideas to get you started on the right track with your little one and their adventures in development.
Here are 20 fine motor skill ideas
- One perfect day shares simple play for fine motor skills with the added bonus of Sensory Fun.
- I love the way Natural beach living combines learning the letter L with some fine motor skill practice.
- Pick up Sticks was a very successful with my toddler who loves to pack stuff away! AND we upcycled a can too!
- Make decorative items that include fine motor skills with your preschool like this Pins and Sequins Ornament from Afterschool for smarty pants.
- Sometimes the little ones come up with activities on their own while playing with other things like this play turned Developing Hand Eye Coordination activity.
- Water has to be one of my 3 year old’s favorite things to play with and in. Teachers of good things shares a quick and easy pouring activity that is great for Hand-Eye Coordination.
- Threading with beads is also a great way to practice fine motor skills with your toddler and make jewelry.
- We have all seen the classic pipe cleaner in the hole activity, which you can never go wrong with, but you HAVE to check out what Child central station did with her’s while developing fine motor skills with chenille stem sculptures!
- Sometimes it is hard for me to think about what to do for certain skill areas. Happy and blessed home has a lovely checklist for Pre School Prep for Kindergarten and a free printable check list which you can expand on for doing even more activities.
- Doing everyday tasks and chores teaches our young ones important skills. P is for preschooler has a lovely post about washing cloths and the skills that can be learned in the process.
- I love to reuse our spice bottles for various things, the holes in the top give a perfect opportunity to practice fine motor skills.
- Fine motor skill practice can even be extended to road trips! ALLterNATIVElearning has some lovely ideas for Travel Games for Kids that include fine motor skills.
- My toddler loved our feather and pom pom trees fine motor skill activity I set up for her.
- Learning to use things such as buttons, zips and other items can be a challenge just starting out. Craftulate has made a gorgeous Fine Motor Clothes Fastenings Board for her toddler to practice on.
- The 3 year old is extremely fond of play dough and pasta so he loved the Fine Motor Skills with Pasta and Play Dough activity setup.
- Although a geoboard is meant to be used with elastic / rubber bands it is unsafe for my youngest who still eats / tastes everything! We turned it into a fine motor skill practice geoboard with pasta and she got to play with the board like her brothers!
- Lalymom shares another thing I would have never thought to play with! Check out these 10 fine motor skills activities using velcro rollers, yes you read right, velcro rollers!
- Learning to squeeze things such as a glue bottle is another aspect of mastering fine motor skills. Craftulate has some inspiring ideas on Learning to SQUEEZE!
- Have a bunch of fresh flowers? I love these 10 Easy Fine Motor Activities Using Fresh Flowers from Lalymom.
- I saved our favorite for last! This recycled craft made it as our favorite craft / activity of 2013 as well. We used an Egg Carton and made a Color Sorting Activity, so many possibilities!
Do check out our fine motor skills pinterest board for even more awesome ideas!