It can be perplexing to know just exactly what to do when your new baby is not sleeping, nursing, crying, or getting a diaper change. Soon enough they start looking around and trying to move, this is when you begin the a special time of first discoveries in the world.
It is amazing to witness such deep joy come from such simple activities. Enjoy the different ideas here for 0-6 month olds, each topic covers a different way to gently engage with your baby and bond through exploring new experiences.
Simple Activities for 0-6 Month Olds
Gross Motor: Exercise, Movement, and Tummy Time
These mamas remind us that even when it looks like nothing is going on, our little babies are always developing and working hard to grow. Encouraging their movement and showing them different ways to feel their bodies has an important role! Enjoy the simple motions, babies don’t last forever 🙂
- Importance of Tummy Time by Simple Home Blessing
- Tips for Tummy Time by Mama OT
- Fun Tummy Time Positions by Your Kids OT
- Newborn Exercises by True Aim Education
- Activities for a One Month Old by Babies Learn Through Play
Soft Play Ideas
- Fabric Blocks by Powerful Mothering
- Taggie Bunny by Powerful Mothering
- Baby Rag Quilt by I Can Teach My Child
- No Sew Quiet Book by Powerful Mothering
Excite the ear with your beautiful, loving voice! Sing-alongs with hand action are great to introduce fine motor skills and rhythm at an early age.
- Action Songs for Baby by The Educators Spin On It
- Baby’s First Nursery Rhymes by Let’s Play Kids Music
- DIY Rattle Drum Toy by Pink Stripey Socks
- Egg Shakers by Living Montessori Now
Early Art and Crafts
Colorful keepsakes and other bright ideas are a nice way to pass the time while your little one remains little. It’s never too early to start crafting!
- Handprint Keepsakes by Messy Little Monster
- Footprint Sunflower Craft by Fun Hand-Print Art Blog
- Neon Edible Paint by I Heart Arts and Crafts (read this survival guide to painting with infants).
- Mess-Proof Gooey Color Paint by Powerful Mothering
- DIY Origami Mobile by B-Inspired Mama
Discovery Bottles, Busy Baskets and Boxes
Recycle old containers, baskets, and cardboard boxes for baby’s first discovery play. It is nice to have a go-to basket collection of easy access baby friendly toys. Pick out baby safe objects with intriguing textures, colors, and shapes to make a treasure box or put them in a bottle for some floaty fun.
- Baby Fabric Bucket by TinkerLab
- Treasure Baskets for Baby by Natural Beach Living
- Giant Sensory Box by Pink Oatmeal
- Sensory Discovery Bottles by The Imagination Tree
- Spider Web Discovery Basket by The Train Driver’s Wife
Fine Motor Play for Baby
OoOh sensory! These easy projects with bring many ‘coos’ and ‘oohs’. Simple and affordable activities that use upcycled or recycled materials, you can’t go wrong!
- Finding Reflections by Mama Smiles
- Baby Play with Christmas Lights by Simple Fun For Kids
- Baby Games with Foil Blanket by Messy Little Monster
- Color Texture Book by Bambini Travel
- Sensory Balls by School Time Snippets
- Baby Water Play by Pink Oatmeal
- Baby Rice Play by Fun At Home With Kids (use this great tip to neutralize the vinegar smell when you color rice and don’t limit your play to just rice, dry pasta works well also!)
Kitchen Inspired Taste Safe Sensory Play
Here’s some sensory play right from your kitchen! Each recipe is “taste-safe”, made from food ingredients and non-toxic if it is accidentally ingested. Get a little messy and have a lot of fun!!
- Quick No Cook Play-Dough by Powerful Mothering
- Baby Play with Jello by Powerful Mothering
- Potato Play by Montessori on a Budget
- Taste Safe Sensory Rainbow by Powerful Mothering
Need more awesome Play ideas?
Check out our Zero to Two the book of play ebook!
- Keeping Memories for Baby’s First Year
- Must Have Baby Toys & Accessories for 0-6 Months
- Why I use an Amber Teething Necklace (Amber 101)